Tuesday 30 January 2018

Waverley Genuine Tartan Cloth Commonplace Notebooks

A couple of years ago I met the lovely people from Waverley Books during my visit to the Spring fair and they introduced me to their wonderful line of Tartan notebooks.  I was given a Caledonia cloth notebook to review and I was really impressed, you can read my post about it here.  Anyway Liz got in touch with me again to say they had added more tartans and sizes to their range and would I be interested in testing some out so I said "Yes please!" and here we are!

First of all let me tell you a little bit about commonplace notebooks in case you haven't heard of them before.  These books were made to be used for compiling your thoughts, ideas and information.  They were small enough to fit in your pocket or bag so they were at hand when you were struck by inspiration or simply remembered something you had to write down.  I can imagine a poet feeling compelled to jot down a verse while watching a glorious sunset or a scientist sketching herbs and flowers while recording their properties and uses during the 17th century. Okay, so I might be getting a bit carried away now, let's get back on track!

Waverley commonplace pocket notebook

All of the Waverley notebooks are made using genuine Kinloch Anderson tartan which is the company who supply tartan for kilts for the royal family!  How swish! There are currently over 40 different kinds of tartan available for these books so if you are Scottish or have some Scottish ancestry you might be able to find the right tartan for your clan!  If you are not associated with any clan then the tartans I am showing you today are perfect for you as they have been created by Kinloch Anderson and can be worn by anyone.

The notebooks come in large (£14.99), pocket (£9.99) and mini (£7.99) sizes and I have some of the pocket and mini ones to show you today.  

All of the pocket size notebooks have coordinating elastic closures and matching stained edges.  They also come with a bookmark telling you about the tartan used and an information booklet about Waverley Scotland, commonplace notebooks, tartan and a clan map of Scotland.  

One side blank and one side lined

Both the mini and pocket size books contain blank pages on the left and lined  pages on the right so you have space to draw, doodle and write.  The 80 gsm cream paper is smooth and very nice to write on.  I would definitely say it is fountain pen friendly too as I have used a few different inks in mine over the last 18 months and none of them have bled or feathered. 

The notebooks also come with a ribbon page marker and eight perforated pages at the back which can be removed easily without leaving you a messy edge behind.  I hate tearing a page out of a notebook if I need a piece of paper for something so I love this idea, it's fantastic!

Business card holder & expandable pocket

The mini and pocket books also have an expandable pocket at the back to hold anything you want to pop in there and a space for a business card, bank card or loyalty card as well which is super handy!

The mini notebooks are the exact same design as the pocket size books but a little smaller and come with an elasticated pen loop that matches the colour of the closure and a coordinating pen.

The history of commonplace notebooks inspired me to take these books outside to photograph them.  They feel like they belong among nature instead of sat on a desk so I took one or two with me any time I went on an adventure or somewhere new......


Castle Grey mini notebook

Romance pocket notebook

Black And White mini notebook

Thistle pocket notebook

Heather mini notebook

Rowanberry pocket notebook

Hunting mini notebook

Dress pocket notebook

And after all that time outside there's nothing better than coming home for a nice, warm cup of tea and shortbread while spending some time journalling in my Dress tartan notebook!

Which of these is your favourite book?  Are you suddenly feeling the urge to buy one and take a holiday under the "luxuriant skies" of Scotland or to study the works of Thomas Campbell and Robert Burns?  Please say it's not just me!

I would like to say thank you to Waverley Books for sending me all these gorgeous notebooks and if you want a sneak peek at the new tartans which will be released later in the year you can check them out here!


Bye for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment